Al Wilson owns and runs a retail and wholesale surf shop, Surf Haven, in a sea side town The business is situated on a prominent corner of the town at 1 View Street, Bell’s Inlet. Its custom is mainly from young surf board, sailing and boogie board riders.
The shop has a nautical atmosphere and is very well organised. Products consist of surfboards, sailboards and boogie boards. Surf Haven also sells second-hand surfboards on commission.
Surf Haven also supplies many of the surf shops around the coast.
The business charges GST on all inventory sales and surfing lessons, and pays GST on inventory purchases and most business expenses.
Surf Haven employs two casual assistants, Brian Jardine, works as a surfing instructor with Al and Carl Holland who works in the shop selling stock, and taking bookings for surf lessons.
Fred pays both Brian and Carl $30 per hour. Each employee works between 10 to 15 hours per week, depending on the season and demand. Payday is every second Wednesday.
At the end of February, Surf Haven owed 4 hours pay to both Brian and Carl.
Note: Do not use the payroll section of MYOB; record wages expense cash payment.
Goods and Services Tax
Surf Haven pays GST of 10% on all business expenses, except wages. Non-current asset acquisitions are also taxed at 10%.
The following is a list of closing inventory and the suppliers as at 28 February 2018.
|Quantity on hand||Item Code||Description||Cost Price||Sale
|15||BBD||Boogie Boards||$120||$240||Wave Rider|
|30||SFM||Surfing Manuals||$10||$25||Seahorse Publishers|
Each of the above items of inventory is quoted excluding GST.
The required inventory is purchased on credit under the terms of payment required by the suppliers.
Al has a good relationship with each of his suppliers. Once he places an order, the suppliers will deliver them free of charge the same day.
All lessons are paid for at the time of the lesson and is recorded separately to the sale of inventory.
Suppliers account balances at 28 February 2018.
ABN 50 566 722 363
|56 Main Street, Torquay||$3,700|
ABN 20 888 566 222
|2 Beach Road, Fairhaven||$5,500|
92 000 444 666
|1B Carlton Parade, Geelong||$2,300|
Each of the above account balances represents deliveries of inventory received on 22 February 2018; all purchases are on terms 2/10, n30. All inventory items are delivered on the same day as they are ordered.
Surf Haven sells most of its inventory strictly on a cash basis, but the business has three credit customers. Terms of payment for these customers are net 30 days.
Customer balances at 28 February 2018:
|Name||Address||Date Last Invoice||Account Balance|
|Sharkeys Wye River
ABN 62 444 333 543
|14 Bay Street
|Torquay Surf Shop ABN 50 596 794 363||47 Buckley Road,
|Aireys Surf Club ABN 877 475 200||3 Aireys Lane Aireys Inlet||Feb 22||$1,700|
Terms of payment for customers is 2/10, n30. Freight of $50 (GST exclusive) is charged for all credit sales.
Trial Balance as at 28 February 2018
|Account||Debit ($)||Credit ($)|
|1-3110||Shop Fittings & equipment (cost)||12,500|
|1-3120||Accumulated depreciation Shop fittings & equipment||1,450|
|1-3210||Motor vehicle (cost)||22,000|
|1-3220||Accumulated Depreciation – Motor Vehicle.||3,500|
|2-1310||Net GST Payable||560|
|2-2100||Loan – ANZ Bank, Bell’s Inlet||20,000|
|3-1200||Capital – Al Jardine||27,000|
Transactions: March 2018
- Paid cash for printing expenses to Acorn Press– $594 (GST Inclusive).[chq 201]
- Purchased a new cash register for $2,310 (GST inclusive) [chq 202].It is expected that the cash register will have an effective life of 6 years with a nil residual value.
- Paid three month’s rent of $4,620 (GST inclusive) to Prime Real Estate. [chq 203].
- Paid for two months (March & April) advertising in the Surfing Times – $286 (GST inclusive) [chq 204]
- Credit sale to Airey’s Surf Club : inventory sold: 2 boogie boards, 2 surfboards, 3 surfing manuals (Invoice CR663)
- Received payment of $4,000 from Torquay Surf Shop
- Received $1,540 (GST inclusive) for surfing lessons.
- Paid Seahorse Publishers for February account. [chq 205]
- Paid cash to GMJ Autos for vehicle expenses- $297 – (Including GST) [chq 206]
- Purchased inventory: 12 surfboards and 16 boogie boards. (P.O. 326, 327)
- Received payment from Starkey’s Wye River for balance outstanding at 27 February.
- Paid Wave Rider the balance outstanding at 28 February. [chq 207]
- Purchased office supplies from Ace Office Supplies, $803 [chq 208]
- Sales Invoice sent to Sharkeys Wye River for the following items:6 surfboards, 6 boogie boards, 10 surfing manuals (invoice CR664)
- Received $3,410 (GST inclusive) from Point Hicks School for surfing lessons.
- Pay day. C a r l was paid for 28 hours and Brian was paid for 30 hours; the payments included wages owing from February. [Chqs 209 & 210]
- Purchased inventory: 15 surfboards and 12 surfing manuals (P.O. 328)
- Received payment from Airey’s Surf Club for February account.
- Credit sale to Torquay Surf Club: 14 surfboards, 10 boogie boards and 15 surfing manuals (Invoice CR665)
- Cash drawings – Cheque payable to Al Wilson of $2,000 [chq 211]
- Paid cash for vehicle expenses – $220 (Including GST) [chq 212]
- Purchased 12 boogie boards (P.O. 329)
- Received payment from Airey’s Surf Club for 4 March sales.
- Returned 2 boogie boards to Wave Rider. They were slightly damaged. A Credit Note was issued by the supplier. These items were from the purchase on 16 March
- Received payment from Sharkey’s Wye River for inventory sold on 11 March.
- Cash sales of 3 surfboards and 3 surfing manuals (Invoice CS754)
- Purchased 10 surfing manuals (P.O. 330)
- Paid Australian Taxation Office GST owing [Chq 213]
- Paid Wave Rider for inventory purchased on 16 March [Chq 214]
- Paid Custom Surfboards the balance outstanding on 28 February 2018[chq 215]
- Credit sale to Aireys Surf Club: 5 surfboards and 5 boogie boards (Invoice CR666)
- Purchased 12 surfboards and 15 surfing manuals (P.O. 331 & 332)
- Al introduces a new product for sale. He purchased 20 sailboards from Wave Rider for
- $400 each (GST exclusive) (P.O. 333). Selling price of the sailboards is $640 each (GST exclusive).
- Paid Custom Surfboards for inventory purchased on 12 March. [Chq 216]
- Paid monthly repayment to ANZ for bank loan; $1,050 (includes $50 interest). GST is not payable on this transaction. Fred decided that the business would pay an additional $500 off the loan principal. [chq 217]
- Paid Telstra Ltd for business phone accounts – $572 (GST Inclusive) [chq 218]
- Credit sale to Sharkeys Wye River: 8 surfboards, 9 boogie boards and 7 sailboards. (Invoice CR667)
- Pay day. Carl was paid for 30 hours and Brian was paid for 24 hours. [chqs 219 & 220]
- Sharkeys Wye River returned 1 sailboard and received a credit note. The sailboard was undamaged and returned to inventory.
- Received $2,695 cash (GST inclusive) for surfing lessons.
- A customer purchased 3 surfboards for cash at a special price of $1,485 each (including GST). The customer also purchased 6 surfing manuals at the normal price. (Invoice CS755)
- Received partial payment of $7,000 from Torquay Surf Club.
- The ANZ Bank in Williamsville has sent a bank statement for the month of March 2018. The following items were noted from the bank statement:
- Bank fees of $35 were debited to the account on 30 March
- A credit for an electronic transfer of $1,200 was received for sale of second-hand surfboards on commission.
Adjustments at 31 March 2018
Some of the necessary adjustments are to be found in the transactions above. Other adjustments are listed below.
- The physical stock take does not agree with the computer records and adjustments for inventory arePhysical stock-take as at 31 March 2018:
- Surfboards 18
- Sailboards 14
- Boogie boards 8
- Surfing manuals 28
- A stock take of stationery supplies revealed $540 of stationery on hand at 31 March 2018.
- The shop fittings are to be depreciated using the straight line method, at 15% per annum on cost. The motor vehicle is to be depreciated using the straight line method at 20% per annum on
- Accrued wages owing on 31 March 2018: Carl – 8 hours, and Brian – 10
|1-1110||Cash at Bank|
|1-1190||Electronic clearing account|
|1-1200||Trade Accounts Receivable|
|1-1250||Other income receivable|
|1-3110||Shop fittings at cost|
|1-3120||Shop fittings-accumulated depreciation|
|1-3210||Motor vehicle at cost|
|1-3220||Motor vehicle-accumulated depreciation|
|1-3310||Cash register at cost|
|1-3320||Cash register-accumulated depreciation|
|2-1350||Net GST Payable/Receivable (manual recording only)|
|2-1750||Other expenses payable|
|3-9500||Profit and Loss Summary (manual recording only)|
|4-1200||Sales returns (manual recording only)|
|4-2000||Freight fees collected|
|Cost of sales|
|5-1100||Purchases(Cost of goods sold-manual recording)|
|6-1600||Motor vehicle expenses|
|6-1800||Stationery supplies expense|
|6-1930||Wages and salaries|
Note: Delete or hide accounts not required. Accounts which are linked accounts cannot be deleted
Part A: Manual recording
- Record the opening balances as at 1 March 2018 in the appropriate general ledger accounts and the opening balances of accounts receivable, accounts payable and inventory in the appropriate subsidiary
- Record the transactions in the appropriate general or special journal for March 2018. Post all transactions from journals to the general ledger in accordance with accounting procedures.
- Prepare schedules of accounts receivable, accounts payable and inventory as at 31 March 2018 and reconcile these with the control accounts in the general
- Record end of month adjustments in the general journal and post these to the general ledger.
- Prepare a Trial Balance before and after end of month adjustments as at 31 March 2018
- Prepare an Income Statement for March 2018 and a Balance Sheet as at 31March
- Prepare closing entries for March
- Prepare a Trial Balance after closing entries for March 2018.
Transactions must be recorded in the pro-forma journals, ledgers, worksheets and reports available in the assessment folder.
Part B Computerised accounts using MYOB
- Set up a data file for Surf Haven and process the transactions for March
- The Easy Setup Assistant can be used for the initial setup process to:
- Prepare the Chart of Accounts
- Enter the opening balances in the general ledger
- Setup customer and supplier cards and enter opening balances in the specialist modules
The Command Center can be used to create inventory items and enter opening balances of inventory
- Record the transactions for March
Record end of month adjustments.
The Best Assignment help is one of the best website for assignment help. For more details you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +447418324884, +918607503827