Influence groups and individuals
You will demonstrate knowledge and skills required to influence groups and individuals.
Using the workplace scenario information provided, you will plan the implementation and resourcing of an organisational change strategy, consult with various stakeholders, and implement a key part of the change strategy. At all stages, you will build support for the implementation.
Note: You will need to keep copies of the work you undergo in this assessment task for further use in Assessment Task 3.
- Review the simulated business documentation, including policies and procedures, in Appendix 1: Max Lionel Realty. Review templates contained in Appendix 2: Assessment Templates for possible use or adaptation in completing assessment task requirements.
- Review the scenario information below.
- Develop action plan for implementation of the change strategy.
- Develop a budget for the strategy.
- Develop a communication plan for the change strategy.
- Arrange a time to meet with CEO (your assessor) to discuss planning. Prepare to:
- employ appropriate leadership style
- discuss plans and budget and gain support
- explain how plans meet organisational, legal requirements, etc.
- explain how communication plan accounts for needs of internal and external groups. Explain what approaches will be taken to ensure the organisation is reflected positively in the media.
- discuss modes of communication (e.g. presentations, flyers, posters, training notes, etc.) in implementation plans
- explain how plans align to organisational risk management plans; for example, explain how the change strategy mitigates certain risks outlined in the risk register
- discuss the approach to be taken in upcoming consultation with managers (key part of implementation).
- Revise plans/budget based on consultation with CEO. Keep drafts of plans to provide evidence of consultation and continuous improvement.
- Consult with managers (individuals chosen by your assessor to play the roles of managers) to implement part of change management strategy (inform managers of change processes, gain support, seek feedback and suggestions for improvement). Ensure you:
- employ an appropriate leadership style
- model and encourage ethical behaviour.
- Revise plans/budget based on consultation with managers. Keep drafts of plans to provide evidence of consultation and continuous improvement.
- Submit documentation as per specifications below.
- meet with CEO (your assessor) to approve change strategy
- plan and deliver a presentation to managers on the change strategy
- action plan for implementation
- communication plan
- drafts of evolving planning documents
- presentation notes, PowerPoint slides, etc.
Your assessor will be looking for:
- how you communicate and inspire the trust and confidence of others and ensure their cooperation and support
- how you explain business ethics and their application
- how your knowledge of leadership styles and their application supports the organisation
- an explanation of the impact of legislation, codes and by-laws relevant to the organisation’s operations
- how you incorporate the organisation mission, purpose and values into your plan
- how you describe the organisation objectives, plans and strategies in your plan
- how you discuss, initiate and implement the organisational change processes.
Adjustment for distance-based learners
- No variation of the task is required.
- A follow-up interview may be required (at the discretion of the assessor).
- Documentation can be submitted electronically or posted in the mail.
- Meetings/presentations may be conducted and observed live or via an appropriate teleconferencing tool.
You are the Operations General Manager at Max Lionel Realty (MLR). The CEO, Max Lionel, has asked you to initiate and implement a change strategy to improve organisational culture and ensure ethical and legal compliance of agents. Key outcomes of the strategy will be:
- development of an ethics charter for the business based on WHS responsibilities and Real Estate Institute of Victoria (REIV) Code of Conduct
- revisions made to existing policies and procedures to incorporate use of charter by agents
- training for managers and agents on use of charter, WHS responsibilities and legal/ethical responsibilities.
Previous needs analysis for this strategy has uncovered characteristics and requirements of various groups and stakeholders:
|Agents (40)||Clients||Tenants/wider community|
|under stress; time-poorhighly trained and competent in selling and managing real estate
unaware of legal, ethical requirements; just want to please clients
even if aware, have no idea how to apply to daily client practice
unclear on overall strategic aims of MLR
|cynical: e.g. ‘Why do I have to pay attention to MLR’s internal business? I just want them to manage my property’time-poor
not sure of MLR obligations and commitment to best-of-breed client service and ethical practice, REIV Code of Conduct
feel that it’s the agent’s obligation to fill rental/lease properties according to client wishes: e.g. ‘I choose who lives in/leases my property’
|sometimes feel discriminated against on basis of:lifestyle
residential agents have been rude or insensitive on occasion: e.g. ‘You wouldn’t treat your rich clients or investment partners this way’
do not feel they are adequately consulted
residential/commercial agents/clients have let themselves in without consultation
inspections are sometimes unannounced
feel that the real estate business is crooked
The following resources are available from preferred suppliers, Ace Consultants:
|Advertising and promotions consultant||$150/hr|
|Quality assurance person/editor||$120/hr|
|Mary Stewart (WHS consultant)||$150/hr|
|John Ng (CPA)||$150/hr|
|Pat Lee (Lawyer; anti-discrimination expert)||$150/hr|
|Off-site training room (catered ) with space for ten people||$400/hr|
|Promotions package: email, social media, trade magazine placements, local newspaper copy||$4000|
The total budget for the change strategy: $12,000
You will need to:
- develop a draft action/implementation plan for the implementation of the strategy, including all activities to be undertaken and timelines for entire project
- develop a draft communications plan for internal and external stakeholders
- consider resourcing requirements and develop a draft budget
- consider modes of communication and outline new technologies which would benefit promotion of plan
- include in action/implementation plan (and communication plan) a meeting with managers as a key part of building support for change strategy and gaining input
- meet with CEO to approve draft planning documents
- meet with managers to present draft strategy and gain input.