MN610 Virtual Private Networks
|Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines|
|Unit Title||Virtual Private Networks|
|Assessment Author||Dr Ammar Alazab|
|Assessment Type||Individual (Assignment 1)|
|Assessment Title||Assignment 1 – VPN Technologies and Security issues|
|Unit Learning Outcomes covered in this assessment||Students should be able to demonstrate their achievements in the following unit learning outcomes:a. Analyse and discuss the significance of VPN for contemporary organisations and how it addresses their concerns and security issues.
b.Explain the role of VPN, its limitations and works done to address these limitations as well as to supporting the security of businesses and corporations
|Weight||15% of Total Assessment|
|Word limit||See instructions|
|Due Date||6:00 PM, Wednesday 29 August 2018 (Week 7)|
|Submission Guidelines||· All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.· The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
· Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using APA or IEEE referencing style for School of Business and School of Information Technology and Engineering respectively.
|Extension||· If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to the School’s Administration Officer, in Melbourne on Level 6 or in Sydney on Level 7. You must submit this application three working days prior to the due date of the assignment. Further information is available at:http://www.mit.edu.au/about–mit/institute–publications/policies–procedures–and–guidelines/specialconsiderationdeferment|
|Academic Misconduct||· Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-Policy-Procedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.|
There are two parts to this assignment, i.e. part A and part B.
- Write a review article for the following topics depending on the last digit of your ID: select Topic 1 if it ends in an ‘odd’ number or Topic 2 if it ends in an ‘even’ number. 90 marks
- Presentation 10 marks
Part A description:
- Topic 1 – Significance of VPN for contemporary organisations that have branches nationally and internationally
A virtual private network uses a public network’s infrastructure to make the connections among geographically dispersed nodes, instead of using cables owned or leased exclusively for one single network’s use, eg using of network that as is typical for a wide area network (WAN). To the user, a VPN looks like a private network, even though it shares the network with other users. There are several uses for a VPN. Analyse and discuss the significance of VPN for these contemporary organisations. List the concerns of contemporary organizations in communicating among their employees and clients, and comment if VPN can address their concerns. Discuss how VPN can be advantageous for securing computer communications. Address the issue of VPN security in details as described in section 3.
- Topic 2 – VPN Replacement Technologies
Legacy VPNs has had some major drawbacks and problems such as the ones described below. There have been attempts to resolve the issues, and some technologies are being deployed as alternatives, e.g. Microsoft DirectAccess, SoftEther VPN etc. List the limitations/problems existed in legacy VPNs and review alternative options to resolve and overcome the problems of legacy VPNs. Address the issue of VPN security in details as described in section 3.
Common Part – VPN Security Issues
Fundamentally, VPN is known as being secure and safe; however, there are still many issues with regards to security aspects. A simple Google search of ‘VPN security’ displays 135 million results. Search the internet for relevant articles/papers, and compare and analyze what these security issues are and what solutions they propose.
Prepare your article as below
- Go to the IEEE website and download the WORD template for the format. https://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/authors/author_templates.html
- Another link for the template: https://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/journmag/ieee_tj_template_17.pdf
- Read and familiarize yourself with the instructions carefully.
- Prepare a paper using the IEEE format and the example attached. Follow the template if there are any confusions. Also, refer to the link below to have ideas how to start (see section 6). (https://www.ieee.org/publications_standards/publications/authors/author_guide_interactive.pdf)
- Complete the assignment (minimum 5 and maximum 8 pages) including all the sections below. The number of words will be counted thoroughly and you must keep the minimum number of words to avoid any penalties.
- Title (maximum 15 words)
- Abstract (200 – 250 words)
- Introduction (500 – 1000 words)
- Literature Review (500 – 1000 words)
- Main body (1000 – 1500 words)
- Conclusion (200 – 300 words)
- Future Works (150 – 300 words)
- References (minimum 10 references)
- The article must be a ‘Review’ article including at least 5 references and not more than 25.
- Strictly follow the IEEE reference format for in-body citations and the references section.
- See the attached files for guidance on how to prepare a review paper. You can also find thorough instructions from IEEE and the Internet.
- Contents must include:
- History and background of the topic
- What are the challenges and drawbacks, what solutions and workouts they found
- Possible options (solutions) and future research areas proposed
- Scopes of topic, progress of developments such as requirements, benchmarking, purposes & objectives, stakeholders, owners, roles and responsibilities where applicable.
- Include a minimum of two (2) figures to show the overall concept and summarized overview of the topic from the review of minimum 10 – 15 (but not limited to) papers.
- Include a couple of tables to summarize the result of findings
- How each organization approaches, initiates, develops procedures and ownerships, and what results they got, and how it affected their businesses.
- What you conclude in terms of the topic/solutions to implement in an organization. Consider other aspects to include for a good review paper.
- Remember to strictly follow the template and the instructions above to avoid penalties.
Part B description:
Prepare slides (between 5 – 10 slides) for presentation during the lab class. Read the instruction attached carefully.
Example of marking criteria is shown in following table. Marks are allocated as follows:
Note: The marking criteria varies for each assignment
|Section to be included in the report||Detailed Description of the Criteria||Marks|
|Conforming to the template and format||No marks will be given and severe penalties will apply for any breach of the format and template. Fonts, sizes, spacing, captions, headings etc. will also be checked thoroughly. Be thorough and follow fully when using the template and format instruction to avoid penalties.||10|
|Figures and tables created||They should be created yourself and not copied from elsewhere. For full marks you should create at least 2 figures and 2 tables.||20|
|Main sections||Main body structures and contents quality including word limit.||40|
|Literature review||Severe penalties apply for simple listing and describing. It should be a logically support analysis that reaches the review conclusion that should be included at the end of the section. Check word limit.||10|
|In body citation||Strictly follow the order and instruction by IEEE. Check when/where to put the citation. See attached files and search the internet for guidelines||5|
|References section||Check whether they follow the instruction. Otherwise, no marks will be provided||5|
|Presentation||Presentation skills and materials quality||10|
Example Marking Rubric for Assignment #: Total Marks 100
Note: The marking criteria varies for each assignment
|Marking Rubric Criteria/ Grades||High Distinction (HD) [Excellent]>80%||Distinction (D) [Very Good]70%-80%||Credits(C) [Good]
|Pass (P) [Satisfactory]50%-60%||Fail (N) [Unsatisfactory]<50%|
|Criteria 1||Concise and specific to the project||Topics are relevant and soundly analysed.||Generally relevant and analysed.||Some relevance and briefly presented.||This is not relevant to the assignment topic.|
|Criteria 2||Demonstrated excellent ability to think critically and sourced reference material appropriately||Demonstrated excellent ability to think critically but did not source reference material appropriately||Demonstrated ability to think critically and sourced reference material appropriately||Demonstrated ability to think critically and did not source reference material appropriately||Did not demonstrate ability to think critically and did not source reference material appropriately|
|Criteria 3||Demonstrated excellent ability to think critically and sourced reference material appropriately||Demonstrated excellent ability to think critically but did not source reference material appropriately||Demonstrated ability to think critically and sourced reference material appropriately||Demonstrated ability to think critically and did not source reference material appropriately||Did not demonstrate ability to think critically and did not source reference material appropriately|
|Criteria 4||All elements are present and very well integrated.||Components present with good cohesive||Components present and mostly well integrated||Most components present||Proposal lacks structure.
|Criteria 5||Logic is clear and easy to follow with strong arguments||Consistency logical and convincing||Mostly consistent logical and convincing||Adequate cohesion and conviction||Argument is confused and disjointed|
|Criteria 6||Clear styles with excellent source of references.||Clear referencing style||Generally good referencing style||Sometimes clear referencing style||Lacks consistency with many errors|
 See http://www.editage.com/insights/6-article-types-that-journals-publish-a-guide-for-early-career-researchers
The Best Assignment help is one of the best website for assignment help. For more details you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
visit at : Holmes Blackboard